Friday, November 1, 2013

Because emasculation.

I've been thinking a lot about what happened last night. Trying to get at the root of why, besides the obvious, disgusting racism, things like this disturb me so much.

I think I've finally put my finger on it.

It's the instantaneous emasculation that happens when a POC man gets confronted with 'Teh Man'.

I've watched both white men and POC men deal with authority figures. The power wielded seems to hit the POC men harder. A white man can buck and speak of his rights and be HEARD by these authority figures, who in turn, back the fuck off that heavy-handed shit. That doesn't happen with POC men. They buck a bit, speak on their rights, and get their asses beat.

So, what I witnessed last night infuriated me. It infuriated me to see these young men, heads hanging, doing their best to appear meek, mild and cooperative, because after all, they're just black boys and he's a white security guard. It infuriated me to watch them choke down their rage. It infuriated me to watch them not exercise their rights for fear of being abused. It infuriated me to watch them...being forced to submit for nothing more than playing a game of dice.

So many people want to wail and scream about consent. They wail and scream about submission being a gift. They wail and scream about how slavery isn't WEAL OR TWOO. They wail and scream that we all have choices.

Then, I see young, proud men, hanging their heads and feigning subservience just to keep themselves safe and out of jail and it makes me shake my head at the delusional fucks who bleat on about consent, and fail to see the daily instances where those involved don't have, and haven't given, consent.

No comments :

Post a Comment